Wednesday, October 28, 2015

What we talk about when we talk about love.

 Assalam Aleykum Warahmatullahy Wabarakatuh
Hey guys

Lately i've been doing an immense amount of research on writing. For the simple reason that my skills are an abomination to the writer's community.And this research endeavor is my feeble attempt to improve on that. To be quite honest, the bulk of information that lay in wait for a rookie writer only serves to amplify my neurosis.It basically screams out the plain fact that i have absolutely no idea what the hell i am doing.The whole situation has been quite daunting on me to the extent where i am left completely paralyzed.But still i stand, persistently searching for creativity and inspiration in every corner of my artistic world.

Today i want to share with you a quote that always seems to inspire me whenever i feel like my well of motivation is running low.I feel that every writer experiences those days when they outrightly do not feel the joy of writing.You simply don't want to freaking write and it's utterly frustrating!In my case, it is often usually because everything i write only seems to unravel into absolute shit, and i unfortunately have no idea how to fix it.On those days,i like to read.To read and to focus on the good.Like this quote here.

I extracted this quote/ passage from the movie Stuck In Love.Of course it had to be!What can i say?I had to do it for the fans.This is the speech William Borgens gives to a class of young writers at Samantha's celebration for the publishing of her book.The aura that surrounds this scene tends to remind me of all the abrupt mini bursts of motivational talks that usually spurt out of Mr, Mutua's (my principles of broadcasting lecturer) interesting self.He is a vibrant man with a passion for journalism and nurturing young talent.In such motivational moments,there is a certain tranquil feeling that descends upon the class.The room is dead silent and you can almost see the colourful waves of inspiration that begin to surround each and every student when Mr.Mutua speaks.


"Your Professor while a very nice man is a sneaky son of a bitch.The reason Lesley (the professor) could never get me up here to talk about the process of writing, is i'm not sure i have much to say about it that could benefit you.I still find it all very mysterious, years after i wrote my first book.And i'm not sure what it is that compels a person to continue to play make believe even after they're an adult.My favourite book is a collection of stories by Raymond Carver called 'What We Talk About When We Talk About Love'.And in the closing lines of the titled book Carver says, 'I could hear my heart beating, i could hear everyone's heart.I could hear the human noise we sat there making.Not one of us moved,not even when the room went dark'.And i think that is what writing is.It's listening for that beating heart, and when we hear it, its our job to decipher it, to the best of our abilities." 

I couldn't agree more. The story itself i found to be quite riveting and refreshing.I definitely recommend it.You can download and read the full text here: What We Talk About When We Talk about Love. Ps. It's free and you're welcome.

10 comments:

  1. It's a quite motivational piece of literature <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I love that last line. When looking up quotes from this movie I stumbled across it, and somehow reading the lines has more impact than half-heartedly hearing them while eating a bag of popcorn. "Decipher it, to the best of our abilities." - that really is what writing is, isn't it.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a published writer in my head but in reality, I have NO idea what I'm going to do with my words. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved it Areeba!!!And i probably shouldn't say this, but you don't know how happy it makes me to know that i am not alone in my cluelessness when it comes to writing.Thank you!! :-*

      Delete
  4. Wow that last line of the quote! <3 I've never watched this film, but it seems interesting. I may have to do some more research into it ;)

    x Yasmine
    Cloudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do!Go watch the film i promise it won't disappoint.Thanx for stopping by! :-D

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love this! I just love it all, your post and the text of this movie as well. I remember when I first watched this movie this was a part that really stuck with me! Thank you for posting this, it was a lovely post ^-^ I am kind of feeling low on my writing too, but I guess it's like everything else, you need to keep practicing to make it even better. I am loving your blog, I am a new follower! :)

    Paranoid Puppet x
    @ paranoidpuppets.blogspot.co.uk <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!I'm so glad you could relate to it!Glad i met a new member of my tribe ;-) xoxo!

      Delete

BELOVED POSTS