Wednesday, March 30, 2016

On Stolen Vacations, Cultural Festivals and School kicking my butt!



 Assalam Aleykum Warahmatullahy Wabarakatuh!
 Hi Everyone!



As some of you may already know, I'm almost graduating and so as of now, I am incredibly busy! I would therefore like to apologize in advance for the fact that I may not be posting as often as I would like to be or feel I should be. This semester, I've been taking two courses in my minor which is Broadcast media, my last International relations course and one general course which is Senior experience class.

To be quite honest guys, journalism is quite intense. Firstly because it's so new to me and thus everything seems quite daunting before execution; Secondly, because it requires more application. As opposed to International Relations where we apply our knowledge to real life situations, think about them, discuss and debate on them in a class or some sort of building, Journalism demands a whole different level of application to real life. Thinking about concepts, visualization of how you want the shots to look like, scouting locations, finding equipment and people to handle different roles, actual filming, editing...it's quite the task. However if you have the passion for it, you'll be just fine because sincerely speaking; the end does justify the means. When you see the final product of what you created, there's a sense of euphoria that takes over and everything is worth it. However before that happens, you'll be stressed out of your mind lol.

For my Radio class, I had to do a top 10 countdown assignment, a voice demo and Freestyle project which tests your ability to use elements such as voice, music, sound effects and silence in your work. I'm planning on sharing my work on here just to help any Journalism students who read my blog or simply anyone who's interested in Radio or even voice work. And don't worry guys, my lecturer was highly impressed with my work so even though I'm not a Journalism major, I know what I'm talking about, so fear not! For thy has got your back!

I'm also taking a course in Tv and Video production which is what is taking up most of my time, energy and brain capacity. For my final project I have to film a documentary so you can see why I have no time to post as often as I would like to. Normally, we are allocated such assignments in groups because it's easier to delegate roles such as director, lighting and sound director. However for this particular project, our lecturer wants us to have individual projects. Therefore, you have to find people to help you out with your project and sometimes people have their own projects to worry about. But I'm excited for this and I know despite all the stress, it’s going to turn out great!

Speaking of stress, I decided to take a break and go home because we had a school break due to the Easter holiday!Woohoo!Also because i was literally losing my mind and needed a break.What's  shocking is that I did not carry my laptop so I was laptop- less for four days! I know that may not be such a big deal for you guys but for people who always have something to get done using the laptop, that is a humongous deal. To be honest, it felt somewhat bizarre and foreign. I felt like I was wasting time and that I should have been finishing up some pending work, but since I had no laptop, I had to coerce myself into living in the moment and not thinking about everything that was waiting for me back at school; Which was actually much more difficult than I thought it would be.

If you follow me on my social media you probably know that during my short vacation, I attended the International Nubian Festival which was such a blast! It was a great way to unwind considering the fact that I did not want that to go in the first place. However I ended up going and dancing the night away, under the night sky to tribal drum beats was definitely a treat! 


People dancing to Doluka: the Nubian dance.
Lately, I've been thinking intensely about my blog and I've decided to spice things up a little. To me, a blog should be an area for self expression and where people can go wild with creativity, which may come differently to different people. In my case, I want to stop stressing so much about how many posts I’ve presented and focus more on the quality of the content and what appeals more to diversity and creativity. Hence, I will be introducing more audiovisual and also written work to simply make this blog more interesting and exciting! Also, it will be a great way for me to practice everything I learn in class especially to do with broadcast media and I cannot describe to you how excited I am!!Now let's just pray I can actually make the time for all these new projects I've planned out.

I'm trying to do more film work which is in tandem with my goal of starting a YouTube but vlogging is seriously not as easy as it looks lol! But I'll keep my best foot forward and see what I can come up with.I hope you are all having an amazing time wherever you are and I hope you are doing what you love! Here’s to less stress, trying out new things and living in the moment! Talk to you soon in shaa Allah!

XOXO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BELOVED POSTS